Tech giant Microsoft confirmed this week that it will soon start blocking Visual Basic Application (VBA) macros in Office apps by default, after quietly rolling back the change earlier this month.
As reported by TechCrunch, the company said that it will start blocking Office macros by default from July 27. This comes soon after Microsoft halted the rollout of the macro-blocking feature.
The initial rollout, which began in early June, is believed to cause problems for organizations using macros to automate routine processes, such as data collection or running certain tasks.
In a statement to TechCrunch, Microsoft said it halted the rollout while it “makes some additional changes to enhance usability”.
The company has since updated its documentation with step-by-step instructions for end users and IT administrators, explaining how Office determines which macros to block or run, which Office versions follow the new rules. How to allow VBA macros in trusted files and prepare for changes.
Microsoft announced its plan in February to disable macros by default to prevent threat actors from abusing the feature to distribute malware via email attachments.
“VBA macros are a common way for malicious actors to deploy malware and ransomware,” the company said.
“Therefore, to help improve security in Office, we are changing the default behavior of Office applications to block macros in files from the Internet,” it added.
Posted on BGR India to start blocking Office macros by default after problems reported by Microsoft.