The Cortana app has been removed from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. Its named AI in the Halo series is also dead. But the digital assistant continues to live in the Windows ecosystem. Despite being very capable, many people do not like the digital assistant and would like to uninstall it. If you are into the bunch, you have come to the right place. Here we will take a look at how you can turn off the digital assistant on your Windows powered machine.
For Windows 11 users, Cortana is disabled by default, and the company would prefer that you get rid of the digital assistant this way. But, if you want to stick to your guns and keep running Windows 10 here’s how you can do so without bothering with Cortana.
Note: Using these methods will disable Cortana in the main PC framework, but the digital assistant will continue to show up inside some of the company’s apps, including Outlook and Teams.
How to Disable Cortana (Windows 10, 11)
- Open Task Manager.
- Now click on the “Startup” tab.
- Click on Cortana and then click on Disable.
- Now open the Start menu and find the Cortana app.
- Right-click on the app and then select “More”.
- Now click on “App Settings” option.
- Toggle the “Plays on Log-in” switch to OFF.
Cortana is disabled by default in Windows 11. However, if it is enabled by any chance, you can follow the steps listed above to turn it back off.
How to Uninstall Cortana (Windows 10)
Before we begin, note that this method requires tinkering with the system’s code and do it only if you are comfortable around PowerShell.
- Open PowerShell by searching for it in the Start Menu.
- Right-click the Windows PowerShell app and click “Run as administrator”.
- Now type the command “Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.549981C3F5F10 | Remove-AppxPackage” and press Enter.
If you want to remove Cortana completely then you will have to tamper with the Windows Registry, which is extremely risky and we do not recommend doing so unless you are a power user.
How to Uninstall Cortana on Windows PC in Few Simple Steps The post first appeared on BGR India.